The Belchertown Police Department is now equipped with a MEDRETURN BOX! This box is specially designed to safely store prescription and non-prescription drugs, vitamins and veterinary medications. Safely dispose your unused / unwanted medications so they do not become a harm to you, your family members or the environment!
Safely disposing drugs and helping elders clean out their medicine cabinets can help prevent accidental overdoses and the misappropriation of prescription drugs by personal care assistants or loved ones.
Concerning the environment – A recent study shows that 80% of US streams contain small amounts of human antibiotics. Fish and other aquatic animals have shown adverse effects from medicines in the water. Small amounts of medicines have been found in drinking water.
Some alarming statistics about prescription drugs and teenagers…
- Prescription drugs are the #1 choice among 12-13 year olds.
- 70% of people 12 and older who abuse prescription drugs get them from family and friends.
- 1 in 7 teens admitted to abusing prescription drugs to get high in the past year. Some 60% of teens who abused prescription pain relievers did so before the age of 15.
- 56% of teens believe that prescription drugs are easier to get than elicit drugs.
- 2 in 5 teens believe that prescription drugs are much safer than illegal drugs and 3 in 10 teens believe that prescription drugs are not addictive.
- 3.1 million 12-25 year olds used over the counter cough and cold medications at least once to get high. The mean age of the first non-prescribed use of sedatives and stimulants is 13.